3/07/2012

Requiem For The Croppies By Seamus Heaney

Croppy Boy Memorial, Tralee, Ireland
My own view of Heaney is that he always was, and still is, too close to the British establishment. Or any establishment available. This poem hints at an affinity with Irish Nationalism. But Heaney never committed even to the half-way house nationalists of the SDLP or Peoples Democracy. He never committed to anything much.He says that it is because he is a 'quietist' who lived in a rural community cheek by jowl with Protestants. But if you lived in Northern Ireland at a time of discrimination, torture, internment, Bloody Sunday and the sectarian pogroms which killed even members of his own family, quietism was not a credible option. He often worked for the BBC in those days at a time when his career and reputation were developing. The British Broadcasting Corporation enhanced his ticket. The commissions would have dried up soon enough if he had even hinted at criticising what remained of British pretensions to govern in Ireland. He knew that. I have a depressing picture of him in, say, 1972, Donegal tweed cap in hand, saying to the Director General of the BBC 'Good Luck to your lordship'. All the same, this is a great poem and a vignette of what he could have been. I know he's a Nobel Laureate. But so is Obama.



The pockets of our greatcoats full of barley...

No kitchens on the run, no striking camp...

We moved quick and sudden in our own country.

The priest lay behind ditches with the tramp.

A people hardly marching... on the hike...

We found new tactics happening each day:

We'd cut through reins and rider with the pike

And stampede cattle into infantry,

Then retreat through hedges where cavalry must be thrown.

Until... on Vinegar Hill... the final conclave.

Terraced thousands died, shaking scythes at cannon.

The hillside blushed, soaked in our broken wave.

They buried us without shroud or coffin

And in August... the barley grew up out of our grave.

3 comments:

  1. I saw a movie a few years ago, "The Wind That Shakes the Barley," about the time period he speaks of in his poem, and found it very moving. I think one of the most difficult things to face is the discrepancy I find myself in around speaking out and holding silence. Holding silence can be a profoundly spiritual act, but we live in a time when remaining silent, for any reason, may no longer be an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the dilemma, Teresa. The croppies fought and died in the Great Rebellion of 1798 in fact. I have stood at the remembrance garden where some of their remains are buried and found it very moving (my own grandparents were from the West of Ireland). The Wind That Shakes The Barley, a great film I agree, was an account of similar depredations visited on the rural Irish but in the 1920s. Heaney's own counsin was murdered by loyalists in a sectarian murder in 1972 which he barely condemned. His reticence was unforgivable to me. In the same year he accepted an award from the Sunday Times, a cheerleader, Fox News style, for the British hegemony in Ireland. Unfathomable, but his career progressed unhindered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some holes in my sense of history. :) Thank you for more background. It's hard to imagine a poet without a stronger conscience. I've always thought of them, erroneously it seems, as a voice for such. I'm afraid my idealism (naivete?) is showing. :)

    Thank you for raising an important question for me.

    ReplyDelete