3/19/2014

From 'Parnell's Funeral' By W.B.Yeats

Under the Great Comedian's tomb the crowd.
A bundle of tempestuous cloud is blown
About the sky; where that is clear of cloud
Brightness remains; a brighter star shoots down;
What shudders run through all that animal blood?
What is this sacrifice? Can someone there
Recall the Cretan barb that pierced a star?

Rich foliage that the starlight glittered through,
A frenzied crowd, and where the branches sprang
A beautiful seated boy; a sacred bow;
A woman, and an arrow on a string;
A pierced boy, image of a star laid low.
That woman, the Great Mother imaging,
Cut out his heart. Some master of design
Stamped boy and tree upon Sicilian coin.

An age is the reversal of an age:
When strangers murdered Emmet, Fitzgerald, Tone,
We lived like men that watch a painted stage.
What matter for the scene, the scene once gone:
It had not touched our lives. But popular rage,
Hysterical passion dragged this quarry down.
None shared our guilt; nor did we play a part
Upon a painted stage when we devoured his heart.

3 comments:

  1. My god, this is a powerful poem. What I love about Yeats, in particular, is how he shows us we are very much the same, the time is always the time, and we are all still players on a stage. There are some glorious lines in this poem, one after another, but this one stopped me for a moment longer: "Some master of design Stamped boy and tree upon Sicilian coin." I'm going to bookmark this post. I could read this poem every day for a very long time ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, Teresa. I agree that Yeats is very rich seam to mine for the good of the soul. I'm reading a book on Yeats's life just now by Norman Jeffares a Yeats authority from some years ago. There's a wonderful poem quoted in the book which I am trying to find. It's a gaelic poem by the blind Irish balladeer Raftery and it's translated into English by Yeats's mentor and friend Lady Gregory. It tells the story of Mary Hynes, a famed West of Ireland beauty who was known as the Rose of Ballylee. I'll keep looking for the translation which is beautiful in itself and will post it as soon as I find it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to say, although I have read Yeats for decades, it wasn't until I started to read the Jeffares book that I happened upon the Parnell poem. I know what you mean about reading it over and over.....

    ReplyDelete