4/04/2014

Sailing To Byzantium - Rejected Lines

I therefore travel towards Byzantium
Among these sun-browned pleasant mariners
Another dozen days & we shall come
Under the jetty & the marble stairs 
But now these pleasant dark skinned mariners
Carry me toward that great Byzantium
And ageless beauty where age is living 
That I may look on St. Sophia’s Dome
On gold-embedded saints and emperors
After the mirroring waters and the foam
Where the dark, drowsy fins a moment rise
Of fish that carry souls to paradise.
W.B.Yeats By Augustus John

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were "rejected lines. " Interesting ... And thank you for that wonderful painting above by James Nairn ...I love any city in the rain ... another new artist for me ... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Teresa. I'm reading Norman Jeffares excellent book on Yeats just now. It's full of these rarities and obscurities. Hence all the Yeats posts. More to follow. :)

    ReplyDelete